About the department
We're a mixed group of software, embedded and electronics engineers, and we build the technology that is used to power our Beryl Bikes, from the ground up. It's an exciting department to work in, with the opportunity to get involved in lots of different areas. We build technology for both our riders and our internal workshop and operations teams, helping people get about on a fleet of safe and comfortable bikes.
Our tech stack
Here at Beryl we like to focus on things we love to do. We have a modern, clean tech stack and spend a lot of time automating things to remove manual drudgery. We also continue to invest in what we have built to cut down on technical debt. No one likes to work on a system that is full of gotchas and clunky manual processes.
Here's a quick rundown of the core technologies and systems we use at Beryl:
- Python-based microservice architecture running on Google Cloud Platform
- Apollo.js GraphQL layer
- Google Endpoint API management
- React.js web applications
- React Native mobile applications
- Postgres, Google Big Query and Google Datastore datastores
- Google PubSub and MQTT messaging
- Terraform infrastructure orchestration
- Fully containerised platform running on autoscaling Kubernetes clusters
- CI/CD via CircleCI and Helmfile (server) and Bitrise (mobile)
- Error reporting using Sentry
- Github for source control
- ClickUp for sprint planning
- Informal agile development process with weekly sprints
- Weekly product demos
Diversity at Beryl
At Beryl, we are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All candidates will be fairly reviewed for the role without regard to race, religion, sexuality, age, disability, gender identity, nationality, or any other protected status. While upholding the Equalities Act we are committed to continuing to improve our workplace culture and environment. To make sure we are supporting all staff, we have two mental health first aiders and take care to look out for one another. We value employees from diverse backgrounds and family arrangements, and have flexible working policies that support our staff in balancing their personal and work lives.
Working at Beryl
We've worked hard to make our culture one that is positive, relaxed, and incredibly hardworking. We put a real emphasis on growth and personal development, and we encourage learning at every opportunity.
We understand that there is life outside of Beryl, and we fully support this with flexible working, time off for volunteering and other commitments, and an enhanced parental leave scheme. We celebrate all of our wins, personal and professional.